Wednesday 24 December 2008

Merry Xmas to all my readers!!

I suppose it is a bit late to send a Christmas message to all my readers on Christmas Eve, when it is very quiet. I will go back to the theme of corporate bond funds but my experience is mixed all the same. I have been a long term modest investor in City Merchants and in capital terms the performance has been terrible. The best idea is to have a range of investments/deposits/properties!! I know that diversification in equity terms has not really worked but let's hope it should help in the future. Everybody seems to be down 30 pct and I suppose people will be averaging down their losses. The re-investment of dividends is crucial.
www.searchifa.co.uk
One massive change in the UK investment landscape is the virtual disappearance of British banks from future portfolios. One of the staggering events of 2008 was
the death spiral of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and Halifax. I could not understand why they did not hit the short sellers by buying their own shares. I suppose they wasted too much capital by buying back stock at previous sky-high prices. Is
RBS a buy at 44 pence?

No comments: