Wednesday 19 December 2007

Has the UK stock market gone ex-growth?

Has the British stock market gone ex-growth? I read an interesting article by Chris Dillow in the Investors Chronicle, who noted that the only true performers in the
last twenty years were banks, tobacco and mining companies. Dillow noted that companies well-known for their innovation such as media and software had been poor performers.

I personally would not invest in the banks at the moment since they are suffering a few problems but maybe BAT and Imperial Tobacco look reasonable. Or rather than taking my amateurish advice, you could contact an
independent financial adviser.

Out of the banks you got to look at the ones, where the share prices have not fallen so much such as HSBC, Standard Chartered and Lloyds TSB. Again, caveat emptor, I am not giving investment advice I am just blogging on a sunny afternoon.

No comments: