Tuesday 28 April 2009

I must have been insane!!

In a very weak moment or was I insane but I was contemplating a minor purchase of War Loan. This was after my previous post on how likely it was for foreign investors to boycott gilts (British government bonds) for inflation and currency
reasons.

Obviously, this is not a recommendation one way or the other since this is not a professional blog and I have not got any professional qualifications. Most of my ideas probably come from the Daily Telegraph. I think it was in the 1930s that the UK government cut the coupon on War Loan, which was a tinsy bit naughty. It is an undated stock and some hold the bonds through inheritance. I still fancy buying them though, since they are a bit of history.
www.searchifa.co.uk

However, conventional government bonds can really be hit by inflation. A lot of financial pundits are saying that UK index-linked gilts are a better buy. In reverse,
if there is real deflation in Britain, then gilts and corporate bonds could be a wonderful investment if coupons are maintained. That is a big if, especially if yields reach the default levels of the 1930s.

Also bond prices are being distorted by quantative easing measures being carried out by the Bank of England, so I better lie down and wait for the War Loan urge to go away.

No comments: